Bering Building 

Address: 102 North Chicago Street

Date Built: 1928

First Occupant: Black Hills Motor with apartments upstairs.

Current Occupant: The ground floor houses numerous shops and offices, and the upstairs still has numerous apartments.

Contractor: Henry Bering

Sandstone Quarry: Evans Quarry then owned by Henry Bering

Architect: Henry Bering designed the building to be fireproof


Architectural Style: All trimmings in the form of patterns in the stone are done by hand. This construction date again is quite late for the utilization of cut stone anywhere else in South Dakota. Classical in detail, the building mixes what appears to be limestone with the native Lakota sandstone. Three second story pilasters separate limestone-hooded windows. These openings, with two smaller windows flanking a larger one, are often called Chicago windows. Once gain limestone is used to decorate the cornice with vertical joined bands. A wide belt course separates the first floor from the second and has classical molding at the top.


History: Besides offices and apartments, the building housed Black Hills Motor Company when it was first open in 1928. The building is designed and constructed entirely by Mr. Bering. The entire building will be fireproof - skeleton is steel - inner walls of hollow tile - plastered - floors of cement - outer walls of sandstone from Evans Quarry. The white stone around the windows is Mr. Bering's own composition.


The Bering Building is the last structure to come out of the Evans Quarry.


Helen Magee link


QR Code Info: 


Back to Home

List of Services

Share by: